Sunday 8 April 2018

Thing 16: Actions speak louder...... Be aware of your digital footprint.


My digital footprint tells the story of me, my favourite apps, the websites I have visited, the messages I have sent, videos downloaded, images uploaded, music downloaded, games played, comments posted, boards created, things pinned!!  These “marks” colour in a picture of me and hence my online reputation/integrity is being embellished every time I log on!!   I know this can be positive or negative and can shape how people see me now and possibly view me in the future. I realised this after Thing 13 – Personal Brand and Managing it.  It made me do things I hadn’t considered before.  I searched myself online.   Searching for yourself is a quick way to see what information is out there about you.  I did find a person with the same name, living the other side of the world. I did take a look at their digital footprint. Luckily there was nothing for concern!!    I am now aware of what’s out there about me and I have an idea about what’s out there,  for the other Hilary Cantwell!!!! 

On a daily basis I remind students about the precautions one should take online.  Since starting this course I have made a conscious effort to put into practice what I preach:


·       Social networks have privacy settings which help you manage the content you share and who you share it with.  It is important to use them.   Controlling who sees my online presence, yes it could be restricted to friends and followers only or I can choose to put it all out there!!.  I also realised that I need to be aware of the content of my friends and followers because it can affect my digital footprint too. 
·       Think before you post! Funny pictures, jokes are subjective. We should take time to question ourselves Do we want friends, family, future employers to see our content?  Am I happy for people to see the information I have posted.  Once online it has the potential to be online forever. 
·       Deactivate and delete when you stop using a social networking profile or website it’s a good idea to deactivate or delete the account.  This means the content is no longer live and should not be searchable online!  It may also make sure that the account is not hacked.
·       I have always been very careful about giving out personal information to websites I am unfamiliar with.  I don’t respond to phishing emails, no matter how enticing or innocent it may seem.  Banks have worked hard to educate users that they will never ask for or send personal details.  I am obsessed with secure internet connections, legitimate hot-spots and that they are encrypted. 
·       I am also getting better at reading the “terms & conditions” of apps I download.  I am not as quick to put the “x” in the box.  In other words I am giving “informed consent.”
·       I use many passwords online.  My attitude in the past has been somewhat naïve, I have told myself keep it simple so you remember it!!  I have now realised how important it is to use an alphanumeric password.  I have stopped keeping the same password or a very close derivation for my accounts.  It is scary to think that if someone can get access to my online accounts they can control them my digital footprint.


I will be prudent and careful about my digital footprint. Now that I know all the ways that I and others are shaping my digital footprint, it's important to be vigilant about keeping my footprint in shape.  Using an appropriate photo of yourself in your social networking profiles is an important start.  We all have good days and bad days but what goes on the Internet is public and long-lasting. I tell my students that if there are some parts of their digital footprint that they are not proud of, then don't be afraid to untag a photo, ask a friend to take something of theirs down, or even delete an account.  These "fixes" are not absolute, but they can help to keep private business private.  
Thing 16 was about taking charge of your digital footprint, maintaining and shaping it is controlled by me.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thing 22: Reflection Engaged Professional

For the last month I have been "Running up that Hill."   I am almost there, I think??  This last badge has me thinkin...